Thursday, August 14, 2014

Transitioning to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet SCD

I have been following an anti inflammatory diet from my chiropractor for three months now.  The diet is very similar to the Autoimmune Protocol, AIP, which is based on Paleo foods. I have been reading about another diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, SCD, which is more gut specific in my opinion.  Many people think it is more restrictive than the Autoimmune Protocol.  But I feel the legal/allowed foods are more like what I already know doesn't cause gut distress for me. 

My diarrhea has subsided, with the exception of the coconut macaroon incident a few weeks ago. But, my energy level is still not good.  My pain has improved so much.  I can't really say I am totally pain free, there are days I feel horrible, but I am much improved from three months ago.  I know I can feel better if my gut gets healthier, my activity level increases and I continue to lose weight.

I have decided to transition to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, instead of the Autoimmune Protocol as initially planned.  Since my health issues started with my gut almost forty years ago with a diagnosis of ulcerative colitis after having mononucleosis and six weeks of penicillin shots for it.... what was my sweet, elderly, country doctor thinking.  And more recently a diagnosis of diverticulosis and IBS after a colonoscopy.  I think the SCD is more gut healing specific and probably a better choice for me.  I am curious why no physician has ever mentioned this diet to me.  My last GI doctor told me to figure out what foods cause my diarrhea and stop eating them!

I have read the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, several times and it just makes sense to me.  SCD uses homemade yogurt that ferments 24 hours which gives the lactose in milk (a disaccharide) time to break down into galactose (a monosaccharide) which requires minimal digestion.  The gut benefits from the good bacteria in the homemade yogurt.  I know from past experiences, plain organic Greek yogurt agrees with my gut, but milk doesn't. 

Also in the book, it is suggests eating cooked vegetables and fruits until diarrhea subsides.  I figured this out the hard way.  I can eat raw spinach and romaine lettuce, but only 1/4 cup of each a day.  Any more than that and I bloat and cramp.  I eat at least 1-2 cups of cooked baby spinach every day that I cut very tiny, almost like you chop herbs for recipes because I really don't like the texture of big pieces of spinach.  There are also several allowed foods that I already know I can't eat without symptoms so I will leave those alone.

I talked to my medical doctor before making the decision.  He agreed that our health can be affected by what we eat and he didn't think it would hurt to try this diet.  I was hoping to get more input from him but he didn't have much to say.  He said we could re-evaluate in 4 months, after I have a colonoscopy in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment