Sunday, June 29, 2014

Gummy Gelatin Bites



Using gelatin, as a healthy food and not just dessert, is new to me.  There are quite a few blogs that address the healthy benefits of gelatin. I haven't read any actual scientific studies, I am trusting someone has done their homework.  I had never heard of Great Lakes Kosher Beef Gelatin before starting my gut healing process.  There are a lot of uses for it.  I even saw a cookbook totally dedicated to gelatin!

I have seen multiple recipes for gummies on the internet.  But they all seem to add honey or pure maple syrup.  I decided to make them without any additional sweetener, these are sweet enough for me.  I want to make some with lemon juice so I might add a little honey to those...ie. sour gummies or lemon heads!

 I used organic Just Concord Grape Juice from R.W. Knudson.  This juice is $8 for 32 ounces, which in my opinion is ridiculous, but it tastes so much better than any I have ever had.  I have also used fresh squeezed orange juice.  I am happy that these little yummy gummy bites have agreed with my tummy so far. 


GUMMY GELATIN BITES  makes about 30 one inch pieces

3 TBSP Great Lakes Beef Gelatin
1 cup organic juice, or fresh squeezed
  • Sprinkle gelatin, 1/2 TBSP at a time, over juice in a small saucepan but don't heat it yet.  Stir in trying not to make bubbles. The mixture will get thick, just be patient and keep stirring until mixed well.
  • Heat over low heat until dissolved and mixture gets thin.  Don't boil.
  • Pour into candy mold
  • Refrigerate a few hours then pop out of the mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment