Saturday, June 21, 2014

Spinach, Baby Organic, finely chopped
















As I have mentioned before, I really don't like the taste or texture of most vegetables.  In the past fifteen months, I have learned to like a few more vegetables and continue to try new vegetable recipes. But I am afraid I have a long way to go.

A few years ago I started eating raw baby spinach salads after trying it at my niece's.  She had made this beautiful spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, feta cheese and Girard's raspberry dressing.  I was hooked after the first bite and forever grateful to my niece for introducing me to raw spinach!  But when I started the anti inflammatory diet I realized the salad wasn't the same without the feta and dressing.  I needed to find a new way to eat spinach!

After trying quite a few spinach recipes, I realized it was the texture that grossed me out, not the taste.  I accidentally discovered how I can easily eat 2 cups of spinach a day.  I stack the leaves, cut the stem off, and then chop the heck out of it like it was fresh basil or cilantro.  Duh!!  Why didn't I know this when my kids were little so they would eat spinach.  I can add it to just about any recipe and not ever taste or feel the texture of it but still obtain its healthy benefits.  I add finely chopped spinach to stir fry vegetables, caramelized onions, soup, chicken broth and just about anything else I cook.

By the way, I am working on a raspberry dressing recipe that is AIP approved.  It might not taste as good as Girard's, but my taste buds really want a spinach salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment