Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Blueberry Ice Slushy AIP

In the past, the only way I would have eaten blueberries was in muffins.  I have tried to eat fresh blueberries but I don't like the texture and they were never sweet enough for me.  Blueberries are so much sweeter now that I don't eat sugar all day long!  Or maybe it is because they are organic and in season.  I really don't know, but I love eating them now.

See all those 8 ounce mason jars full of organic blueberries in my freezer... my local store had a sale!  It was so nice to finally find something organic on sale.  The blueberries were half price so I bought twice as many!  I can't believe how expensive they are. 

To freeze blueberries:  Wash berries with cool running water and pat dry.  Place berries in a single layer on parchment paper lined, rimmed pans that will fit in your freezer.  This will keep the berries from freezing into a big blob,  Freeze the berries at least 6 hours or overnight.  Once frozen, transfer the berries into your freezer container of choice.  I love my Mason Jars for freezing.

So in my quest to drink something other than plain water, I realized I don't hate fresh blueberries that have been pulverized in the blender!  I saw several recipes for blueberry smoothies but they all had ingredients I am not eating while doing the anti inflammatory diet.  Maybe down the road I will use organic coconut milk in this recipe but for now it is just a blueberry ice slushy.  This is so simple it is silly.

BLUEBERRY ICE SLUSHY  one serving
 
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup ice
1/4 cup filtered water
1 TBSP Great Lakes Beef Gelatin (*optional)

Put all of the ingredients in a blender that will crush ice or I used "the bullet". 
Blend until it looks like a slushy.  You may need to add a little more water depending on your blender speed.

*gelatin adds 6 grams of beef protein

No comments:

Post a Comment