Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Using Freezer Meat Meal Starters Equals Savings?

When I decided to start making Freezer Meat Meal Starters, it was more for convenience than anything but I am realizing that I am actually saving a little money this way.  Generally, I go to the grocery store weekly and just buy what we need for the week.  Since my diet doesn't have a lot of variety right now, I found myself buying what I had planned for the week without much regard for what I was paying.  But this week I realized we actually saved a little money by making Freezer Meat Meal Starters!

The Publix Greenwise boneless, skinless chicken breast that I buy are packaged two breasts to a package and range in price from $5.99 a pound on sale, up to $7.99 a pound not on sale.  Prior to making Freezer Meat Meal Starters, I would buy four packages of chicken breasts a week for four meals with leftovers for the hubs lunch or we would just overeat at that meal. Sometimes they were close to a pound and sometimes they were closer to a pound and a half which can really add up fast.  When paying $7.99 a pound that is $31.96-$40 (depending on weight of each package) just for chicken breasts for four meals!!   Not to mention what I paid for the meat for the other three dinner meals each week.

This week I paid $5.99 a pound for chicken breasts.  I bought four packages with a total cost of $25.96.  Each package was just barely over one pound.  I made Shredded Chicken Freezer Meal Meat Starter and ended up with enough cooked shredded chicken for six dinners, each freezer jar has 6-7 ounces of cooked meat which is plenty for the hubs and I per meal.  Not only did I save money buying on sale with each package closer to a pound, but we got six meals instead of four.  This also forces us to not overeat at meals and forces the hubs to eat healthier and not rely on leftover sandwiches for lunch (yes, he still eats bread with Hellman's mayonnaise and tater tots with eggs for breakfast and did I mention sweet tea LOL).

I know there will be blog readers who think paying $5.99 a pound for chicken instead of $2-3 a pound for conventional chicken is ridiculous.  Sometimes I am not sure if Greenwise Chicken is worth the added expense either. I am just hoping that in the long run, my health improves and I don't have to take medications to feel good. 

Even if you do buy less expensive chicken breasts, give the idea of Freezer Meat Meal Starters a try...it can save you time and money too.

P.S...I actually went back and bought more chicken while it was on sale and made Chicken Meat Balls and Ground Browned Chicken...my freezer is almost full!

No comments:

Post a Comment